[cheesecake-users] output question

will guaraldi willg at bluesock.org
Tue Jul 25 06:57:55 PDT 2006

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, will guaraldi wrote:

> I'm not sure Cheesecake should be giving advice.  Not all projects need
> the same things or have the same requirements, so giving advice seems
> like a bad idea to me.
>
> If Cheesecake were configurable like pylint where a user could disable
> all the things that aren't appropriate for a specific project, that
> would work. Then Cheesecake would be helping to increase the quality
> that's been specified for the project rather than giving advice on good
> practices while ignorant of what the specific project really
> wants/needs.

I thought about this some more and I changed my mind.  I thought of a
bunch of things that are general and apply to any project.  For example,
if a project was missing critical files, then adivising adding those files
to the project is a good thing.  Also, if Cheesecake gets into the
nitty-gritty of pylint output beyond just the average score, advising
people to fix instances of variables that never get used would also be a
good thing.

I actually just found a problem with my MANIFEST.in file where I thought
it was including a required file, but it turns out it wasn't.  I found the
problem by looking at the new verbose explanation output.  I like the new
formatting much better, too--it's easier to skim through.

Also, on an unrelated sidenote, Cheesecake is running twice as fast now
(revision 110) as it was a week ago (whatever revision I had a week ago).
Skimming the changelog it looks like MK changed pylint to look at the
whole of a package rather than each individual file.  I'm pretty sure
that's made the bulk of the difference, though haven't tested it myself.
Way cool!

/will